J Nutrition August, 2008
SUMMARY - Simple evidence for how to achieve good health. 1. Avoid the standard meat and potatoes diet that increases heart disease about 300%. 2. Choose a low energy diet - lots of fruits and vegetables. 3. Cook the vegetables with plenty of olive oil that prevents cancer. 4. Enjoy some milk that contains good CLAs, but avoid supplements with the wrong CLAs. 5. And get vitamin A when pregnant or your child is likely to spend a lifetime with high blood pressure.
SYNOPSIS OF ARTICLES THIS MONTH:
1. Western diet increases heart disease risk 3 fold - those with greater adherence to the Western dietary pattern had greater odds for cardiovascular risk factors [about 3 times greater risk].
2. Low energy density diet [Poster explanation: fruits and veggies] is superior for health - Nutrient adequacy in the diet is of paramount importance to physical and mental health. The aim of this study was to characterize the dietary pattern associated with a low energy density diet and determine its nutrient adequacy in elderly men and women. ..A low energy density diet has a higher capacity to prevent nutrient deficiency, despite lower energy content, than a high energy density diet in the elderly population studied.
3. Get plenty of olive oil - phenolic compounds may play an important role in the anticarcinogenic properties of olive oil. ..these results suggest that [olive oil] may efficiently prevent the initiation step of carcinogenesis in vivo, because the concentrations effective against the oxidative DNA damage could be easily reached with normal intake of olive oil.
4. Milk CLAs are good for you; some CLAs are hazardous- A mixture of trans-10, cis-12 (t10,c12) and cis-9, trans-11 (c9,t11) conjugated linoleic acid (CLA mixture) reduced atherosclerosis in animals,... We gave 75 healthy postmenopausal women a daily supplement of 5.5 g of oil rich in either CLA mixture, an oil rich in the naturally occurring c9,t11 CLA (CLA milk), respectively, or olive oil for 16 wk in a double-blind, randomized, parallel intervention study...the CLA mixture increased lipid peroxidation more than the CLA milk did.
5. Get vitamin A esp. when pregnant - Vitamin A (retinol) and its analogs (retinoids) are important regulators of cell proliferation, differentiation, immune function, and apoptosis. The kidneys are target organs for vitamin A action. Retinoic acid (RA), a vitamin A metabolite, is involved in embryonic kidney patterning through the control of receptor tyrosine kinase expression, which modulates ureteric bud branching morphogenesis. Vitamin A status of the mother profoundly affects kidney organogenesis of the newborn. In rodents, mild vitamin A deficiency results in a 20% reduction of nephron number.
I AM SURE GLAD THAT YOU ARE PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY. PLEASE HELP YOUR FRIENDS TO PAY ATTENTION TOO!