You must read and accept the disclaimer to use this site. Updated when a question is received about this page.
J Nutrition January, 2009
SUMMARY - RES0LVE TO ENJOY WINE, CHOCOLATE, AND TEA
RESOLVE TO EAT LESS FAT FROM MEAT
RESOLVE TO CARE FOR ALL CHILDREN
SYNOPSIS OF ARTICLES THIS MONTH
1. Wine, Tea, and Chocolate Flavonoids maintain brain function - In a cross-sectional study, we examined the relation between intake of 3 common foodstuffs that contain flavonoids (chocolate, wine, and tea) and cognitive performance. [2031 participants (70–74 y, 55% women)] ...The effect was most pronounced for wine and modestly weaker for chocolate intake. Thus, in the elderly, a diet high in some flavonoid-rich foods is associated with better performance in several cognitive abilities in a dose-dependent manner.
3. Good diet helps even with high-risk genes - In conclusion, although [certain genes] were associated with inflammation, consuming a Mediterranean diet (either supplemented with virgin olive oil or nuts) reduced the concentration of inflammation markers regardless of these polymorphisms.
4. How saturated fats cause inflammation and diabetes - This review highlights the inflammatory and insulin-antagonizing effects of saturated fatty acids (SFA), which contribute to the development of metabolic syndrome. Mechanisms responsible for these unhealthy effects of SFA include: ... subsequent induction of inflammatory genes in white adipose tissue, immune cells, and myotubes; 3) decreased... oxidation of glucose and fatty acids (FA); and 4) recruitment of immune cells like macrophages, neutrophils, and bone marrow-derived dendritic cells to WAT and muscle. Several studies have demonstrated potential health benefits of substituting SFA with unsaturated FA, particularly oleic acid and (n-3) FA.
5. Tocotrienols signals prevent fat cell formation - [Tocotrienols are derivatives of vitamin E.] In vivo studies show that alpha-tocotrienol and gamma-tocotrienol accumulate in adipose tissue. ..Furthermore, tocotrienol could act as an antiadipogenic vitamin in the nutrient-mediated regulation of body fat through its effects on differentiation.
6. Vitamin B-7 (biotin) deficiency is common during pregnancy - Taken together, such studies provide evidence that a substantial proportion of pregnant women are marginally biotin deficient... These observations further raise concerns that biotin deficiency does occur and does cause human birth defects.
7. School snacks often cause poorer diets - Children in schools with restricted snack availability had significantly higher frequency of fruit and vegetable consumption than children in schools without restricted snack availability.
I AM SURE GLAD THAT YOU ARE PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY. PLEASE HELP YOUR FRIENDS TO PAY ATTENTION TOO!