Sorry I have been sending fewer summaries the past two months. I become an emeritus professor May 18th, and celebrate my transition with a campus singing event “Celebrate Wonderful Friends while Roc goes Rolling Home”, 2 songs I teach my classes, on May 8th. My best friend produced a song book titled “Leaving Beloit, Hello [...] Read more »
Archive for ‘milk’
DETAILS and links are after headlines:
HEADLINES: FOR EVERYONE: 1. Cocoa/dark chocolate raises HDL [good cholesterol]. 2. People in the lowest quintile of magnesium levels have 60% increased risk of fatal ischemic heart disease. Foods rich in magnesium include whole grains, legumes, nuts, and green leafy vegetables. 3. Sun exposure is insufficient. You must take at least 2,000 IU of [...] Read more »
A bit late because of our house fire. Make your New Year even happier with good nutrition which includes exercise! And perhaps cheese and definitely breakfast. See details and active links after these headlines:
1. Animal models show benefit of supplemental vitamins C and E to reduce the risk of chronic disease and physiological aging 3. It remains unclear [...] Read more »
Laissez les bon temps roulez!
1. Whole milk intake is associated with prostate cancer deaths - Previous studies have associated higher milk intake with greater prostate cancer (PCa) incidence. The intake of total dairy products was associated with 12% increased PCa incidence >2.5 servings/d vs. ≤0.5 servings/d. Skim/low-fat milk intake was positively associated with risk of low-grade, early [...] Read more »
SUMMARY – See this, longer synopses, and links to published articles further down this page at DETAILS . Sorry this is so long. Here is plenty to enhance your life during the holiday season.
1. Study of 90,000 finds amount and type of fat intake unrelated to weight gain -We found no significant association between the [...] Read more »
AJCN July, 2009 – SUMMARY
This is another issue packed with wonderful reminders and revelations about the benefits of a healthy diet. To remember why so much is now being discovered, please review the omics revolution. Also please read [...] Read more »
J Nutrition July, 2009 – SUMMARY – See SYNOPSES and links after summary.
Getting milk fat has benefits -
1. CLAs (in milk fat) reduce adipose tissue
2. CLAs reduce body fat
3. Lessons from the Bovine Genome – DNA sequence of cow helps explain the unifying nutritional functions of milk.
What to eat – 4. Folate [...] Read more »
AJCN 5th International Congress on Vegetarian Nutrition May, 2009 – SUMMARY – Here’s all the latest word on benefits and awarenesses that are important to vegetarian and vegan diets. Please go to http://www.beloit.edu/nutrition/ln/ln09mayajcnvege.htm for explanations of the topics listed below and links to the [...] Read more »
SUMMARY – See longer synopses and links after summary. Sorry even the summary is long, but there is so much here that is exciting.
PROS AND CONS OF MILK – BE MODERATE?
1. High milk consumption in children does not help weight loss
2. Dairy products preserve your bones
3. High milk intake has hazard
4. High vitamin D [...] Read more »